Monday, October 06, 2008

Details Wanted

Time can be a greedy thing-sometimes it steals the details for itself.
— Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner)

I just finished reading this novel, which I thought brilliant for many reasons, but mostly because of humanly insightful quotes like the one of above. I have thought about that passage a lot. What struck me about it was how it describes particularly well the battle that those with great loss, like bereaved parents, must fight. Time has already eroded so many of the details of our time with Paul. It is a constant fight to keep time from robbing us of these wonderful details. So, we vigilantly keep our memories alive by repeating Paul stories all the time, saying what he would say, pointing out what he would have done, what he would be doing, what he did, and on and on it goes. Lately, we have brought his name up more and more in these contexts. That tells me that we are mindful of the robber - time - trying to steal our details. So, that is why it is so important for us to see his pictures, talk about him, and to hear stories and memories that you have of Paul. Feel free to join the ranks of the detailed memory soldiers. (-:

5 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

When I think of Paul, I have several specific memories that come to mind. One is the day that we spent with you guys in 2006 at your house, where he and my son palled around, counting money, playing with swords, and watching a video together. I also remember going out for Mexican that night, and being amazed at his talent with word search and cross-word puzzles... I was thinking "dang, this kid is only 5 and is doing all that??" He would have given the gifted ed. teachers a run for their money!!

But I will NEVER forget the time we visited a couple years before that... I can't place the year or where we tracked you guys down (you were staying at a friend's house?) but my mom was with us. I want to say that my son was 2 or 3, and Paul was 3 or 4. He was bald at the time and we were comparing surgery scars. But what stands out in my mind is that Paul didn't really want to hug me that much, until Leigh said "whatever you do, don't hug Janet." His eyes lit up, and immediately he came over and jumped on me. I egged him on with "don't kiss me!" and he puckered up and made the most HILARIOUS face and proceeded to give me a completely wet slobbery kiss right on my lips. Leigh and I then had a good laugh about "reverse psychology!"

it's that wide-eyed pucker-face that makes me laugh every time, and that I truly believe won't fade with time. :)

Love you guys. :)

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Karpuz! Karpuz!" You know when we were in Turkey Nov. 06 that tape was still in the Doblo with that sweet voice yelling watermelon! We love you guys and continue to remember and pray for you.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I unfortunately never met Paul in person...though I know we'll meet in Heaven one day. I've enjoyed all that you've shared about all 3 of your boys on the blog and how you gave us specific needs to pray for. My son's 16th anniversary was 10/3/08 and I'm here to tell you, that even after 16 years I can still remember my son's sweet face, expressions and touch. I'll never forget the love he spoke through his eyes or the way his hair felt through my finger tips. God is good and HE WILL allow you to hold onto all the wonderful memories of Paul. I know I shall never see/hear of Nacho Libre without thinking of dear sweet Paul Saxon. God's blessings on you all. ginae@plateautel.com

1:20 PM  
Blogger aprilann said...

My husband and I read The Kite Runner, too and loved it's message of redemption. I never had the honor of meeting Paul or any of the Saxon Family, so I don't have a story to share. I wish I did. However; you have many stories on the blog about Paul. Memories written down and shared with all of us in cyberspace. Thank you for sharing a piece of yourselves here and helping us to know how to pray for you.
april, Josh's mom

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't recall ever seeing Paul without a smile on his face. Not just any smile, but a true expression of peace in the middle of the storm going on inside him.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home