Friday, July 03, 2009

Jeff Gordon vs. Jamie McMurray

There is only one NASCAR race a year that I would rather see won by Jamie McMurray than Jeff Gordon. It's this Saturday night's race at Daytona. Two years ago at this time, Paul wasn't doing much or doing very well. He was in a good deal of pain, controlled by narcotics which made him sleepy, he wasn't eating, and we were still trying to get most of his meds through his feeding tube. One magical night though, he showed us how much life he still had in him...we had a little NASCAR-Daytona party and watched this weekend's race. Jamie McMurray was special to Paul because that is his Papa's favorite driver (both live in Joplin, MO), and Jamie had never won Daytona (or many other races). Anyhow, that night was Jamie's night. Paul was so happy when he took that checkered flag. I will never forget the smile. He asked for the phone to our surprise, and he wanted to call his Papa to tell him the news that his man had won Daytona! It's a conversation that none of us would ever forget. And, it's why I hope Jamie wins tomorrow night. Maybe he'll beat Gordon at the line. That will be ok with me. If you are sitting around Sat. night with nothing to do, tune into TNT and yell for Jamie's #26, and think of Paul. (-:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Judy said...

So Tony Stewart won...but it sounds like it was an exciting race. I'm sure Paul would have loved the excitement.
We were at a flea market yesterday and saw a table full of old vintage hot wheels. I'm fairly confident there was one car in the pile that Paul didn't own. I'd never try to guess which one.
We still talk about Paul a lot around here. His smiling face is not forgotten.
Judy

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home