Thursday, December 28, 2006

It's the People

Paul at the ECHO museum in Vermont

Paul had a clinic visit in FW this morning to do a finger poke that would test all the blood variables that are part of the Nifurtimox study. While Paul's platelets are still low (but not low enough for a transfusion) everything checked out OK. Please pray that Paul's platelets will increase; he's nervous about getting a nosebleed. Paul and I were in and out pretty quickly today since that's all we had to do. I talked with the doc about tapering off Paul's pain meds, and we'll start doing that to see if his pain has decreased any. Paul has also continued to eat well.

I haven't really said much about our experience in VT yet. I'll start today. First, the trip there was easy (big prayer answered). Even though Paul didn't feel well and was very tired, he traveled well. We even had a connection in Cleveland. It was well after 10pm when we got to the Ronald in VT, but even then, Paul was ready to explore a bit. The Ronald is basically a nice bed and breakfast. It's a 3 story restored bishop's house on the corner of the Univ. of VT campus (that was founded in 1791!, by the way). Paul and I were cozy in our room there, and the volunteers and staff made sure that Paul had everything he wanted (food, toys, DVDs, books, etc.). The weather was like a "Texas winter" while we were there although it did flurry snow off and on. We found an indoor mall nearby, a pedestrian street with lots of shops, cafes, a Starbucks!, and enjoyed a trip to the local aquatic museum (ECHO [Ecology, Culture, History & Opportunity]). The town square nearby was very beautifully decorated with Christmas lights. I have to say though that the best part of our visit was the people of VT. I don't think I had ever met a person from VT before, but I can honestly say that these people treated us with an amazing level of kindness and hospitality (even those who had no idea why Paul was there). I came to the profound conclusion that what makes a place special to you is the people you met in the place and how they treat you. By that measure...VT is a special place indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home