Monday, May 07, 2007

On the same page

After a nice, long chat with our doc here in FW, I think we are on the same page as far as treatment. Tomorrow Paul will receive a fairly toxic combo of drugs: Velcade and Dox. He had the dox way back in the early days, but the Velcade represents the first drug of its kind in cancer treatment (I'll let you faithful trollers Google it yourself). These drugs will hit his already tired marrow hard, and it will be a long recovery. But, there is a small shred of evidence that these two drugs will kill some tumor and give us some good days ahead. That's the hope and the gamble. Will they? Or, will they just add insult to injury. Out here in the No-Man's land of relapsed NB treatment there are no facts, no data, just opinions (with much variation) and best practice. We are definitely going beyond what the med. establishment is encouraging, but as long as there is a ray of light that gives some hope we're going to proceed.

A sweet story...Paul's pain is controlled, but of course the Morphine makes him feel somewhat doped up and sleepy. He was asleep today, and I was sitting next to him. OK, I'll admit it...I was blubbering off and on as I was praying to God for some kind of deliverance from all this. Paul apparently awoke at my blubbering and slowly placed his arms around me to comfort me. Is that not ironic? It only made me blubber more, but it gave me a chance to once again share how I feel about what he is going through, how he feels about doing the treatments, and about how the reality of a Loving God in Heaven who has a plan for him is something to look forward to. He hugged me tighter, and I loved him more (if that's possible!).

Pray these next few days for God's hand to rest on Paul as we treat him.

11 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

We're all out here blubbering with you, man. That Paul is my hero. Hugs to you all, Janet

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet friend, blubbering is definitely allowed from time to time! There are times when it has been sweet to remember that in heaven there will be no more tears...but here and now, sometimes they are part of the process.

When we meet tonight at prayer group, we will definitely devote time to asking the Lord to continue to comfort and guide you all, and to bring healing.

Yours because His

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, now my keyboard is all wet. We'll be praying for destroyed cancer cells and none of the frightening side effects...strength for today and hope for tomorrow.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lord woke me up tonight (okay he used thunderstorms to do it :> ), and sent me to my computer. I just wanted you to know that you had earnest, tear-filled prayer cover at 2:30 a.m.! I know you all are exhausted by the fight, but please know how many of us have been called to pray you through another day- 'round the clock!

We've never met, but in the family of God, that's just geography! You are loved, sweet Saxons! You are not fighting alone.

1:48 AM  
Blogger FBC Woodway Blog Editor said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

we are all having an I HATE CANCER WEEK!!

praying for our Loving Father in Heaven to remove this cup!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul is one extraordinary child of God!

We love him and you all very much and we are praying!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today I have cried out to God to touch Paul in a way that will bring total and complete healing to his body, so that only God can receive the glory. He is the only One who can bring Paul's healing, and I believe He will demonstrate His mercy, love and grace thru this. I know that the Saxon family has grown tremendously in spiritual maturity during this time, and God has been honored and glorified throughout Paul's illness. Now I'm asking for God to be glorified in Paul's healing. In John 14, when Jesus was talking to His disciples before His ascension, He said they would be able to do these things, and even greater ... (I believe the "things" must be in His will, and the disciple must be in right fellowship with God to be able to claim this promise). This speaks to us also, and I am, at what I believe to be the prompting of the Holy Spirit, asking for this miracle for Paul, in Jesus' name. To God be the glory forever and ever, Amen.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a sweet release in crying, and a sweeter joy in having Paul comfort you. I am praying throughout day and night. I think of you all daily and hold you up to God. Healing is # 1 prayer. May all of you have strength for every hour.
lk

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quote from Oswald Chambers-

"At times God puts us through the discipline of darkness to teach us to heed Him. Song birds are taught to sing in the dark, and we are put into the shadow of God's hand until we learn to hear Him...Watch where God puts you into darkness, and when you are there keep your mouth shut. Are you in the dark just now in your circumstances, or in your life with God? Then remain quiet...When you are in the dark, listen, and God will give you a very precious message for someone else when you get into the light."

I have never in my life seen God use a family more clearly for HIS glory then he has used the Saxon's. I have never met any of you, I have just walked this journey with you thought your posts and through prayer. The above quote is not really for you...because it is eveident you already know this, it is more for the people who might come across it while praying for your family.

God will heal Paul, that is for sure!!

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the wife of someone that worked with Grandpa Jerry, I read this site everyday and pray everyday for the healing of Paulie.
I can't imagine what you all are going through but know that you are not going it alone. Our prayers are with you all.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home