Greetings from San Juan, Puerto Rico
My trip to San Juan has been very good. For those of you who think that college professors don't work hard...well I guess this trip would only deepen your conviction on that point; however, I rarely travel for professional development purposes, and this looked like a good one to do. At anyrate, most of the last two days have been spent working, and now I am relaxing, posting a few yards from the beach, sitting next to the pool and enjoying a Caribbean sunset (wirelessly connected, of course!). How many of you knew that P.R. was a US territory (or better, what that actually means?)?
Back to the homefront, it sounds like Paul has had a great day. He did need platelets in the clinic, but besides that he and Leigh were off to radiation where he performed like an adult. He's got this radiation thing down (which is sad, but extremely helpful).
It does appear that Paul will receive a more toxic combination of chemo drugs this week. For you NB-parent trollers out there, I'll get technical for a bit since I know you are curious. Paul will be getting Velcade + Doxorubicin (given its empirically proven apoptotic synergistic effect on NB). He will stay on the Nifurtimox (4 pills/day) + Artemisinin/Artemether (1 of each/night). I'm not sure if he'll start oral cytox this week or at all, but he'll continue with rads and Zometa. IV-Vit. C is off the list (Sholler suggestion). Our FW doc basically told us that she expects Paul to need mucha grande platelets (I'm practicing my Spanish here in P.R.), and he'll be admitted right away for neutropenia/fever (as usual), but we should expect a longer bone marrow recovery with what we are about to do. So, there you go.
Please pray that these drugs will get Paul's NB back under control without major hospitalization complications. It will be a challenge for him. God is bigger than all these things; let's not forget that fact. Our faith and trust is still in Him.
Back to the homefront, it sounds like Paul has had a great day. He did need platelets in the clinic, but besides that he and Leigh were off to radiation where he performed like an adult. He's got this radiation thing down (which is sad, but extremely helpful).
It does appear that Paul will receive a more toxic combination of chemo drugs this week. For you NB-parent trollers out there, I'll get technical for a bit since I know you are curious. Paul will be getting Velcade + Doxorubicin (given its empirically proven apoptotic synergistic effect on NB). He will stay on the Nifurtimox (4 pills/day) + Artemisinin/Artemether (1 of each/night). I'm not sure if he'll start oral cytox this week or at all, but he'll continue with rads and Zometa. IV-Vit. C is off the list (Sholler suggestion). Our FW doc basically told us that she expects Paul to need mucha grande platelets (I'm practicing my Spanish here in P.R.), and he'll be admitted right away for neutropenia/fever (as usual), but we should expect a longer bone marrow recovery with what we are about to do. So, there you go.
Please pray that these drugs will get Paul's NB back under control without major hospitalization complications. It will be a challenge for him. God is bigger than all these things; let's not forget that fact. Our faith and trust is still in Him.

3 Comments:
It's wonderful that you can go for work/fun time in PR. Where is Leigh going next month? (just kidding) I will continue to pray for all of you. I pray for healing always!
There are so many different kinds of territories though, either incorporated or unincorporated; either organized or unorganized. In this case, Puerto Rico is an unincorporated, organzied territory. (did I impress you; that was my goal. Wikipedia, 'nuf said)
bobby
Didn't know if you were familiar with Connor Cruse (http://connorcruse.com/). He and Paul have a whole lot in common, including families who love Jesus and share His love with others.
Praying for mucho healing and blessings on you all.
Post a Comment
<< Home