Saturday, October 25, 2008

Warning: This post is normal, mundane and boring


It's hard to believe that so much time has passed since my last post. I remember days when Paul was still alive where some days held two or three posts. I guess you could say that our days and weeks now are normal, mundane, even boring... at least by appearance. We have daily and weekly routines that entail going to school, work, after school activities, exercise, lunch and dinner with friends, church and a variety of other things - normal things. All the apparent normalcy belies reality, however; we really aren't normal. A part of us still lives in that other world of treatment, hospitalizations, travel to other states for treatment, administering meds, etc. We are also not normal because we miss Paul as much today as in the days just after his death. In fact, I miss him more. All that we do contains an element of "missing Paul." I think it might be a bit like coming home from fighting a war in another country. You were made into a different person under extreme conditions, then you come home to a normal world. But, you aren't normal anymore; you'll never be "normal." One interesting thing I have thought about recently is that Paul has now been gone long enough that most people I meet for the first time now have no idea what we went through. They don't know Paul ever lived. I really don't like that; I want to tell them..."Hey, I'm different. I had a son named Paul that changed our lives with all that he went through; I'm not normal even though it looks like it on the outside." But, I spare them...usually.

Anyhow, the picture above was from a Halloween in the past. Paul was particularly proud to be Jeff Gordon that year. This week we went out to shop for costumes, and I found myself drifting over to the NASCAR and Hot Wheels toy section. I looked at all the new cars and thought, "Paul would have all these new ones by now." I also thought that Paul would have made short order of the costume shopping and would have been standing right where I was at that moment. I left with more of a smile than a frown. But I still missed him.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been awhile since I got to read as well. I still think about your family and know that you will ALWAYS miss Paul in some way. One of my close friends just recently lost her husband at 45 and we had the same talk about "normal". You are in my prayers and I know that God is watching over the 4 of you and giving you the good memories of your time with Paul bringing them to mind so that a part of him is always with you. I wish I could have known him, I know I would have liked him.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your honesty in all of your posts. This troller still checks in and prays for you and your crew. Your family has really been inspiring to me, a total stranger. I now stop and smell the roses more and try to be a tad more patient and generous to others. You never know what someone has endured. Thank you Saxon family for that.

7:06 PM  
Blogger MLP said...

I still check on you guys and pray for you, too. Paul's sweet life & smile made me a better person. Thinking of you guys!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Wesley Null said...

We're still reading and praying for you guys, Terrill.

Wes

9:55 PM  
Blogger Wesley Null said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am proud to say that I knew Paul and I will never forget what you guys have been through......You are amazing. We love you Saxons.
THe Hope Family

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home