Monday, November 05, 2007

Dear Paul,
Dad here. It's been a while since I have written. There's always so much to say, but it's hard to write it since it just makes your absence here with us so much more real when I think about all the things we are doing without you. For example, your being gone was really hard to ignore this past weekend when I did your favorite thing with some of your favorite pals. I went to a NASCAR race...without you. It's hard now even to recount it... not seeing your smiling face in the memories I just made. We were all very aware of your not being there, but we had a wonderful time anyhow...somehow. First, Mr. Darrell and I went to the Busch race on Saturday. Aunt Connie and your cousins met us there at Texas MotorSpeedway. We sat on the third row in turn 4! We were covered in grit and tire rubber after the race and smelled like fuel...yes...you would have loved that part. Then on Sunday, Mr. Eric and Mr. Otto joined Mr. Darrell and I and we spent the entire day at the track. Mr. Otto even bought three Jeff Gordon hats. I think he may be a fan now (eventhough he still calls me a "redneck"). Mr. Eric liked it too, but his driver, Kasey Khane, didn't do too great. I hate to tell you this...but Jimmy Johnson not only won but took the points lead from Jeff Gordon. To make matters worse, Matt Kensenth got passed on the last lap by Jimmy...Mr. Darrell was NOT happy about that, and I doubt you would have been either. Anyhow, going to the race made me understand just a little bit more about what it means to not have you here. We still look at your pictures and videos all the time. We have so many and I am thankful for that. Whit is wearing some of your clothes now too. It's fun to see those clothes; it brings back many wonderful memories. Well...guess I better wrap up this letter. We got past Halloween, and we are now bracing for the next holidays with no Paul. I'm not sure how we'll get through them...but we have always depended on God to show us a way; and He has. Although, it probably wouldn't hurt for you to tell Him yourself how much grace and mercy we're going to need. My guess is that He listens to you a lot these days.

We love you and miss you...
Dad

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HE understands!

May God hold you and your family extra close in the months ahead!

D. Lightfoot

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be lifting you all up in special prayer as the holidays approach and you whirl through the holiday season without Paul. May the real Spirit of the Season that makes our hearts joyful in Christ's birth also bring you peace and joy knowing that your Paulie is in His awesome presence this Christmas. The birthday party in Heaven must be pretty amazing - - and he's there!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey T-Bone... this little note just popped into my head:

Dear Dad.

I'm glad you got to go to the race. I wouldn't want you to miss seeing it, because if you missed it because i couldn't go, it would be pretty sad. I get to know about everything now anyway.

Sometimes I wish you didn't miss me so much because I am better now than you could ever know. Besides, seeing Kevin Harvick win the Busch race would not be any fun. (uh... here's where it started to get a little fuzzy...)
I really wanted Jeff Gordon to win, but he can't win every week like Jimmy does, and when Jimmy loses, another Hendricks diver wins anyway. It makes me sad for mr. darrell. God said that he will take care of Jimmy and his team for cheating all the time to win the cup (maybe I dreamed that part up myself? but it gets clearer...).

Dad, I am with God all the time. He is showering grace all over you and mom and Jack and little Whit. He loves you so much, just like me. He made me so much like you, more than anyone else, so you could see the importance of your own life and how much you mean to him (as your father) and everyone else. You just need to be dad and have fun and do all the important things you already do to make everyone's life really great.

Oh, and God said to tell mom to lighten up on mr. darrell for liking Tony Stewart too. Tony is one of his creatures like everyone else, he just has some growing up to do. And he is a really great driver.

uh... that's pretty much the message i got from the p-man (sort of).

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you now and often.

Yours because His

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home