Tuesday, July 01, 2008

A Warning Sign

I don't care much for July even though that has not always been the case. As a child I associated July with a warning sign..."Summer is about half-way over so you had better be getting the most of it." As an adult I associated it with spending time away from work, usually getting out of town, and doing some things as a family. Now, July is a glaring symbol of loss; the warning sign has changed. It was this week of July last year that we gave up. I recall clearly that July 2nd afternoon that we decided that there would be no more drugs and no more transfusions. This was the day that we admitted our failure to cure Paul and that his death was now practically assured in the few weeks to follow. Cancer was going to win. I threw my biggest tantrum that week. I cursed just about everything. And, then we settled into the routines that marked Paul's last two weeks. We are almost a year into living our lives without Paul; this month shines the brightest light on that fact. Evenso, I still can't comprehend it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

I've been thinking about you guys this summer, and how July would always be a painful time. I've been looking through the program and booklet from Paul's service, and I just wanted you to know that I've had a lot of laughs and smiles at his funny quotes (and marveled at his artistic talent, as my 6 year old can still barely draw a stick figure!). It's a painful time, but also a reminder of what an amazing life he led. Thinking of you all.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In the darkness that is the void of God, where we gasp for relief and grope for a sign...he is there...it is not contingent upon our belief, but the hope of those who remember and believe when we cannot."

Remembering and believing for you today.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Wesley Null said...

Terrill, Leigh, and Family:

Dana and I have been thinking of you often lately. We think and speak of your family each time we see Jack walking the dog in the morning. Please know that we will be praying for you even more during these next few weeks. Like everyone else, we haven't forgotten.

Wes and Dana

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been praying for you a lot lately knowing the anniversary was coming up. I hope it brings all of you some much needed comfort knowing we are all still out here, reading your blogs, and praying for you. We have not left you.

May God wrap his arms around you and bring you peace.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Saxons,

Our prayers for you haven't stopped. We continue to lift up your precious family to the Lord, especially as we approach this very difficult anniversary. Despite the painful feelings that this month brings, I pray you will have many days of fun and laughter with your family as we press through this hot summer.

Remembering and praying,
Laura Fiedler

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our prayers for you haven't stopped either & they won't.

The Pierces

10:07 PM  
Blogger Amy D. said...

I am praying for you today.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home