Thursday, January 08, 2009

"The only cure for grief is action." --G. H. Lewes

After you have lost a young child the Christmas holidays are difficult for obvious reasons. I have to battle the intrusion of apathy and sadness and maintain some level of excitement and anticipation so that Whit and Jack can enjoy Christmas and learn its true meaning. Taking down the ornaments and decorations, I had to admit that I was glad I put them up this year, but I was also glad to be taking them away and stuffing them in boxes for the attic to be forgotten for another 11 months. You find a way to get through the holidays with your chin mostly up enjoying it with your family. Birthdays are different. In ten days Paul would be turning 8 years old. It's harder to put lipstick on this pig. At birthdays you sit around and wonder what he would be like as an 8 year old. How would his personality have changed? How tall or short would he be? Would he still be funny and sarcastic? How would he be doing in school? Would his artistic talent have blossomed? I have to be content with speculation on all these things and fight against the nagging truth of how unfair the whole thing is. Our main defense is to do something; we have to enjoy our memories and celebrate Paul's birthday in a way that we know he would love. So, that's the plan.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This we know, that God is FOR you and your whole family, right? Even through birthdays and holidays and the rest of our lives with holes in our hearts - He has promised to comfort us. I hope yall celebrate Paul's birthday in a big way - - what a celebration Paul must be haveing every day in Heaven, worshiping the King! How wonderful it will be to see that first-hand when we go Home! Love from Dallas.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let us be good and faithful servants, let us take refuge in our great and good God. let us follow His ways and live out His plans here, in the broken earth where we live, where in His sovereignty He has placed us, for a time, suffering, as our Master suffered.

then, we will go to heaven, oh hurry up, Heaven, come, Lord Jesus.

we will be praying for you on Paul's birthday, and every other day too

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have never stopped thinking about you guys, ever!! Watched the Jamaica and London trips and skydiving b-day and you guys are living!! Praise God! And Paul lives on in you! We continue to pray for grace to live each day. Thanks for sharing with all of us!
Donna and Mark M.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will especially remember you guys in my thoughts and prayers on Paul's birthday. I can't wait to see how you celebrate that amazing little boy's birthday!!!

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought of you all during the holidays and as always, continued to pray for you. We celebrate Christmas with pretty lights,ornaments and packages here on earth (all pretty meaningless)while Paul and the others who have gone on before us bask in the presence of the Lord Himself, celebrating for eternity. It's hardly a fair comparison. We can only look forward to the day when we'll all celebrate with Him together. Until then, I pray that you will find peace, comfort, love, strength and joy in the only One who can wipe away your tears.

Laura Fiedler

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home