For Love of Money & Sonic
Story #1: Many of you may not know that Paul has inherited the gene (from the Saxon side) that allows him to find money on the ground with the acuity of a falcon in the sky finding a mouse on the ground. Like his Grandpa Saxon (and me to some extent) Paul will find all sorts of coins that no one can see. He once found $20 at Wal-Mart, and regularly walks out of any place he goes with at least 60 cents in change. So, all that to say that today, I was happy to comply when he said he wanted to make our usual rounds in the hospital to find money. Over the years we have located the good spots all over the hospital for coins, and it is a rarity that he comes back empty handed. I was, however, surprised by his request because once again, he awoke very puny. I'm not sure if it was his meds kicking in or what, but he started feeling better, and he had been disconnected from his line between meds. We slipped out and went to our first spot, and I was actually praying, "Lord, let him find something." He went right to a vending machine and found 40 cents. Before we finished our rounds he had collected close to 90 cents in pennies, dimes and quarters. He was all smiles and feeling as good as I have seen him feel since a week ago. There was a Halloween craft going on in the atrium, and he was excited about doing that too. Before we knew it we had been out of the room close to 2 hours or more. I lost track of time. He finally got tired, and I think his stomach started bothering him so we returned to the room, and he fell asleep.
Story #2: Last night Paul was very uncomfortable, but he had had as many regular pain meds as he could have...except Adivan. I don't like this narcotic much because while it works good on pain, it knocks him out. He got it since it was late, and just sat there zoning and not saying much. Out of nowhere he said, "I want some Sonic chicken." I told him that I wasn't sure I could work that out at such a late hour nor did I think he would eat it if I could. He promised he would with half-open eyes. So, I worked the vast network of Saxon supporters, and a Sonic Wacky-pak was on hand within 30 mins. Shockingly he sat there and hate a huge chicken strip and sucked down a soda. I shook my head in amazement thankful that there is such a thing as fastfood chicken strips and there is someone a phone call away ready to deliver.
I think I can say that Paul has improved. It's hard to say if the meds are helping more, if whatever is wrong is getting better or what is going on. I vacillate between "he's getting better" vs. "he's the same." I guess one good piece of objective data is that the fever hasn't returned since Th. A doctor today used a phrase to state what she thought all this was about - "serum sickness." Google that, and you'll get some insight to what this doctor sees.
I know you all are out there praying for Paul. We'll be making some treatment decisions soon since NYC is closing in; but first, we have to get this kid back home and back to feeling good. Pray for that! (-:
Story #2: Last night Paul was very uncomfortable, but he had had as many regular pain meds as he could have...except Adivan. I don't like this narcotic much because while it works good on pain, it knocks him out. He got it since it was late, and just sat there zoning and not saying much. Out of nowhere he said, "I want some Sonic chicken." I told him that I wasn't sure I could work that out at such a late hour nor did I think he would eat it if I could. He promised he would with half-open eyes. So, I worked the vast network of Saxon supporters, and a Sonic Wacky-pak was on hand within 30 mins. Shockingly he sat there and hate a huge chicken strip and sucked down a soda. I shook my head in amazement thankful that there is such a thing as fastfood chicken strips and there is someone a phone call away ready to deliver.
I think I can say that Paul has improved. It's hard to say if the meds are helping more, if whatever is wrong is getting better or what is going on. I vacillate between "he's getting better" vs. "he's the same." I guess one good piece of objective data is that the fever hasn't returned since Th. A doctor today used a phrase to state what she thought all this was about - "serum sickness." Google that, and you'll get some insight to what this doctor sees.
I know you all are out there praying for Paul. We'll be making some treatment decisions soon since NYC is closing in; but first, we have to get this kid back home and back to feeling good. Pray for that! (-:

3 Comments:
Praise the Lord for His grace and mercy on Paul today. I prayed while I was mowing that he would feel good enough to get up and about--actually had hoped he could even enjoy a bit of the sunshine, but I know you're grateful for the good time wherever it is.
Yo!
Sorry for being out of touch here in MT - O'Malley's not up here by the way!
Will continue to pray for Paul (Hey to Paul)and the rest of the Saxon clan. Hang in there and I'm glad for Sonic and that Paul is eating!
Yo
So many are praying for you guys every step of the way! It is so good to hear about Sonic and Paul. We pray that this week God's healing hands will bring you guys home. Much love from your neighbors!
Post a Comment
<< Home