Friday, May 11, 2007

When faith matters the most

This past week, it seems like every kid I know has cancer, is struggling for life, or is otherwise going through some kind of treatment crisis where there is little hope. I know...I exaggerate, but in our small culture of cancer families, it seems that way. I watch my own Paul suffer through disease pain, treatment pain, and laying in a hospital bed while his peers wrap up a year of kindergarten, play sports, and basically enjoy the life of a child. I know of lots of other families going through the same thing. And, some families have lost their child this week. With all this crummy stuff going on with our kids and so little hope being given us by our doctors (who love our kids too), I have to ask myself...why do I persist with faith at all? One answer easily comes to mind...a legion of people are praying loud, attention-getting prayers on our behalf. And, there is this truth: It is during times of hopelessness, based on what we see and hear, where our faith has meaning. "Walk by faith, not by sight." If we lose faith during these hopeless times then it was/is inert faith at best. NOW is the time to have faith - when nothing you see or hear says you should. In Romans, Abraham is described as behaving this way - "When everything was hopeless, Abraham believed anyway, deciding to live not on the basis of what he saw he couldn't do but on what God said he would do" (4:18, The Message). God doesn't say he'll heal our chidren, etc., but He does say he'll never forsake us. So, I choose to believe anyway, despite little hope, and I want to see what God will do.

Paul's night was disturbed numerous times at the throw-up bucket, and his nausea persists. We're mixing up some new meds for him today: Marinol (pill, not the "joint" form), Emend, and we are working towards getting him off the Morphine and onto the Methadone for home meds. He'll be getting dose 2 of 4 of Velcade later today.

I know you are praying.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life;
Whom shall I dread?
When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh,
My adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell.
Though a host encamp against me,
My heart will not fear;
Though war arise against me,
In spite of this I shall be confident.
One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
to behold the beauty of the LORD,
And to meditate in His temple.
For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle;
In the secret place of His tent He will hide me;
He will lift me up on a rock.
And now my head will be lifted up above my enemies around me;
And I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.
Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice,
And be gracious to me and answer me.
When You said, "Seek My face," my heart said to You, "Your face, O LORD, I shall seek."
Do not hide your face from me,
Do not turn your servant away in anger;
You have been my help;
Do not abandon or forsake me,
O God of my salvation!
. . . Teach my Your way, O LORD,
And lead me in a level path,
Because of my foes.
Do not deliver me over to the desire of my adversaries . . .
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage;
Yes, wait for the LORD.

Psalm 27

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Saxons,

I just can't imagine how you have held on for so long with Paul so sick. I know you would trade places with him in a heartbeat if you could.

I pray for healing for Paul, and strength and courage for you all.

Praise God that He gives us the peace that surpasses all understanding, and His mercies are new every morning.

An Oklahoma Prayer Partner

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home