Monday, July 09, 2007

The elephant in the room

I've never been good with pretense, so sitting here today I realized that the question no one really wants to ask is..."how long does Paul have now that we have stopped treatment?" A fair question but not one with an easy answer. Paul's tumor, while methodical, has always been slow growing. That's one reason why he has had such a good quality of life for 2.5 years past relapse. What we don't know is the extent of Paul's bone marrow disease currently. That may be the deciding factor. If there just aren't enough "good guys" (i.e., stem cells) in there anymore (b/c it's overcome with NB), then his reds will drop off, and he'll increasingly struggle with oxygen. Alternatively, with such a low white count, any type of infection would be rapid and aggressive. We also do not know about new tumor involvement in organs (lungs, liver, etc.), but he has never had any problems there so it would be surprising to have it now. Or something else could happen. Like I said, no easy answers. He could have 2-3 days or much longer. I think what we all are praying for is healing, one way or the other. He feels pretty crummy although thankfully pain is not a big issue.

Today Paul is fairly nauseous and has very little energy. He hasn't gotten out of bed, and don't expect him to until we can conquer the stomach ache.

We have been blessed by your comments. I know that Paul's life has affected a lot of people. I'm obviously at the front of that line. Again, even at this point in the cancer journey, while it appears to be wrapping up, we do not lose heart or despair. This is because you are praying against that very thing on our behalf, and because our God can still heal Paul. I hope your knees are sore from all your praying. (-:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no time to cease praying. You know prayers are landing at Jesus' feet non-stop. His love never ceases. If this were not true, we would be a hopeless people in a hopeless world. I thank God for you, Leigh, Jack, Whit, and Paul.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrell, Leigh, Jack, Paul and Whit:
Even though we have never met any of you, our hearts are breaking for your family, and we continue to pray for a miraculous healing for Paul. Following the journey of your family through the last few years has reminded our family of God's faithfulness and goodness as we see all the prayers that He has answered in your lives.

The verses that keep coming back to me as we keep your family in almost continual prayer is one we learned as a child -
Ps 23:4 "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

As you walk through this oh so painful time, we thank the Lord that He is a God of comfort and that whether or not He chooses to remove the cancer from Paul's body, Paul will be healed. He may be healed here on earth, or he will receive a new and perfect body in the presence of the Lord.

We thank you for your witness to each of us through your strong faith in the Lord and your willingness to allow us to be blessed by your journey. You are all in our prayers!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Whitlark said...

We love you guys so much and are praying fervently for Paul and your family. Your faith is humbling to me and we continue to trust God with you and for you. May you find sweet fellowship as a family in the days and weeks to come. GOD IS FAITHFUL and we put our hope in that alone!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying that God continues to protect Paul from pain and that you are all able to sense the Lord's presence with you through every moment. Ps. 42:7 Deep calls to deep at the sound of Your waterfalls; All Your breakers and Your waves have rolled over me.
8 The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime;
And His song will be with me in the night, A prayer to the God of my life. Hope[15] in God, for I shall yet praise Him, The help[16] of my countenance and my God.

These are lyrics to one of my favorite songs by Dennis Jernigan...When the Night is Falling:
When the night is falling and the day is done, I will hear You calling, "Come." I will come while You sing over me. When the night surrounds me, all my dreams undone; I will hear You calling, "Come." I will come while You sing over me. When the night would hide my way, I will listen until I hear You say, "How I love you, child, I love you. How I love you, child, I love you." When this life is over and the race is won, I will hear you calling, "Come." I will come while you sing over me.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am one of what I am sure are thousands who have followed your journey via the internet for years.

Although we have never met, your family is a source of inspiration for me. I keep several of your essays in my daytimer and read them often. You and your family are such precious gifts from God. How blessed we are that you allow us to follow your journey.

I hope that you can feel the prayers that the many prayer warriors are lifting up to God on your behalf.

I wish I had the words and ability to comfort you that this time. I pray that you will feel the loving arms of our Lord Jesus Christ fold around your entire family. He will heal, protect, and comfort all of you.

5:34 PM  
Blogger T said...

Lifting you up!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our prayers for Paul's healing continue. We also pray that God will give your entire family the strength and peace that only He can provide.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are lifting you up here in Oregon. Paul we have never met you or your family, but oh how we LOVE you!!

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys!
WE have all been praying for you and you family! We love you guys!
<3 Mattie R.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrill, Leigh, Jack, Paul, and Whit,
We are praying for all of you... for complete healing for Paul, for God's new mercies and renewed strength for each moment. You are a testimony of the power of the Lord in your lives as you walk through the journey of this experience. You have been in the presence of Almighty God who has been at work in you, through you and all around you. You have encountered the Living, Holy God every moment of every day! He is leading and He is a great Shepherd.

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you; He will quiet you with His love; He will rejoice over you with singing." Zeph. 3:17

We love you dearly and are praying,
jan and terry

9:09 AM  
Blogger Neil J. Salkind said...

Hi Terrell and Leigh - I just learned of Paul's illness and sit her stunned by the sadness and despair that the entire family must be experiencing. We haven't stayed in touch, but I know that our thoughts are always with each other as are Leni and my prayers today with you today. Neil and Leni

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following your journey for some time now. Your trust in God after all that Paul has endured is inspiring to me. Please know that you have a friend in Ohio who is praying so hard for Paul to find some relief.

God Bless all of you.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Jeff and Erin said...

I can remember a HG night in Tky over 2 years ago when we all lay on our faces praying for Paul to be healed. I am so thankful for the grace God has given you as a family to demonstrate such faithful obedience to His will. We are still on our faces praying with you and believing God's goodness for your family.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Saxon Family,

I was thinking about Paul and his fondness for coins and wondered if he knew about this nifty website
http://www.usmint.gov/kids/campCoin/kidsGuide.cfm
I could have stayed on it for hours, but alas duty calls...

I think of you all often and send my best.

Penny
Vermont Children's Hospital

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home